Thursday 4 May 2017

MEST1: learner response

1) Type up any feedback or comments from your paper in full (you do not need to write mark/grade if you do not wish to).
- Overall, i have to make sure i answer/link back my answer to the question and what i write is relevant.



2) Did you succeed in meeting or exceeding your target grade in AS Media? If not, how many additional marks do you need across Section A and Section B to achieve your target grade?

- My target grade for AS media is an A and in this AS Media exam i didn't reach my target grade. In order to reach my target grade i would need to boost my mark by 25.


3) Read through the mark scheme. Pay particular attention to pages 6-9 that have anticipated content for each of the questions in Section A. How many of these potential points did you make? Did you successfully answer the questions? The original question paper is here if that is useful.

- For media representations I went into detail about the importance of family as community and strength. however I did not mention the other suggested points especially the obvious gender stereotypes of male being the breadwinner and the setting being a masculine workplace and the females spending their time in café. in turn I did not successfully answer the question.



4) Which was your strongest question in Section A? Why did you do better in that particular question?

- My strongest question was the media audience question. This may be because i found it easier to incorporate media theory in my answer. I also made sure to make 3 distinct and different points which made sure i got more marks for each point.


5) Which was your weakest question in Section A? Again, try and identify why this happened. Did you misinterpret the question? Did you run out of time?

- My weakest question was Media representations and media institutions. This is because I did not go into detail of the basic representations that were shown in the clip and I failed to use as much media language as I possibly could. In the media institution question I received the same mark. What I didn't do in this question was go in to detail and explain my points using specific references to the clip.




6) Rewrite your answer for your weakest question in Section A. This should now be a detailed, three-paragraph, level-4 response.
- Media Representations
The representation of the 'Metro Salvage' workers as a family unit is seen in a positive way. This is due to the fact that in the clip they are all laughing and communicating really well together. The main character says that this was a "family he created from scratch". This shows that they may not be related to each other but they are still close and work well together as a team. This highlights the fact that they do not need to be related to have a good relationship.


There are also gender stereotypes within the 'Metro Salvage' workers. The traditional representation of male and females can be seen in this clip as the men in the clip are seen as the breadwinner and doing all the work and the females are just there to be the wife. This is further emphasised by the setting being seen as a more masculine place to work as they are handling scraps from cars and in the clip there was a scene where the men were showing off their masculinity by working shirtless. The females stay in the domestic setting of the café which reinforces the typical gender stereotypes that are being represented. Medhurst shorthand theory could suggest that this was used to make it easier for the audience to understand what the show is about and what to expect.


Also, the fact that Lyndsey and Terry can be seen as the mother and father figure to all the workers who are seen in the clip having fun and sometimes messing about especially when they get into the tyres and roll inside them. You see Terry making sure things are in order and getting done well which shows him asserting his control and rational thinking which is typical of a father figure. Lyndsey is seen as a mother figure as she is portrayed as caring and loving towards the workers.

7) Now look at the mark scheme for Section B. Did you cover all three media platforms? Did you write about three different films in your essay? (If you missed out your independent case study this is clearly an area to revise for the real thing).
- In my section B essay, I mentioned each of the case studies I researched covering all Media platforms. However, throughout the essay i lacked consistent question focus and didn't link my answer to the question. I attempted to use media terminology such as 'UGC' and 'Cultural Capital'.

9) Choose one paragraph from your Section B essay and re-write it to improve question focus, examples and written English if applicable. Make sure it is answering the question!
-Producers have responded to the audiences use of new technology in consuming media by exploring creative new ways to reach out to the audience. One way in which this is done is through Ben Drew's Ill Manors Tag London campaign. This is when he got the audience to tweet their opinions on Ill Manors through the e-media platform twitter with the hashtag #ILLMANORS and then he went out and projected those tweets on well known London landmarks. This shows that the producer Ben Drew was able to adapt to the fact that technology is becoming a  widely used medium and create new strategies to promote his low budget film. Also, this helped as it created user generated content for the audience to get more involved and in turn create word of mouth which helps is reaching a larger audience. By projecting the tweets on well known London Landmarks such as the house of parliament a larger audience will be engaging with the media product which plays a big role in audience's consumption with the product as they will be more interested to then look up the hashtag and find out more information about the film.

10) Read the Examiner's Report in full. For each question in Section A, look at whether you included the things the Chief Examiner refers to in the stronger responses. Did any of the problems identified with some answers apply to you? Be specific. 
- Media Representation:  Although I didn't go into detail of the gender representations within the family etc. I didn't misread the sequence to believe that the scrappers were a biological family when I use an example quote from the sequence where one of the men say "family that I have created from scratch".




- Media Forms: The problem with this answer was that i didn't bring specific references from the clip to support my response. Despite the fact that I did talk about Different shots and media theory such as Uses and Gratifications.




- Media Institutions: I mentioned two out of the three descriptors of the BBC remit, educate and entertain giving relevant points but not detailed analysis to it.




- Media Audiences: This was my best answer as it was easy for me to apply the basic media theory that can be included when it comes to media audiences. I had 3 separate and distinct points to talk about. However, I didn't quite talk about the appeal of it and focused a little more on the target audience. I used a lot of media terminology in this question.

11) Now look at the Examiner's Report for your chosen question in Section B. Did your response fit the stronger or weaker examples highlighted by the Chief Examiner? What could you have done differently to improve your mark for Section B?

- My response in section B fit more towards the weaker answers as it lacked question focus and had limited reference to 'why'. In order to improve my work I could have given more specific examples to back my points and give a more detailed response explaining 'why'. I didn't focus on the consumption part of the question and failed to analyse that aspect of the question.


12) Finally, identify three things you will do differently in the real exam in two weeks. These can refer to preparation, note taking, Section A or Section B - it is up to you. 

- To prepare for this exam i will be making sure i have notes on all media theory and notes on my 3 main case studies that i will be writing about in section B. 

- I will make sure i have some exam practice before hand. I will complete 1 paper with detailed preparation before completing the question - not in timed condition. Then i will complete an exam paper in full timed condition

- To make sure that my section B is up to the best of its standards i will be doing as many questions as i can up until the actual exam and i will keep going over my case studies and make sure i have something for each case study for each aspect of MIGRAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment